- 250g Greenlea Premium eye fillet, trimmed to remove any sinew or fat
- 1 tbsp capers, rinsed, drained and chopped
- 1 medium shallot, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 gherkin or 3 cornichons, finely chopped
- 3 dashes of Tabasco (optional)
- ½ tsp salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 egg yolks
Place the fillet in the freezer for 30 minutes – 1 hour. Chilling the beef will help you to chop it very finely. While the meat is chilling, finely chop the capers, shallot, parsley and gherkin. Cut the eye fillet into very thin slices. Then, stacking a few slices at a time, cut the meat crosswise, again forming very thin strips. Finally, gather a few strips together and dice crosswise, cutting the beef into tiny cubes.
Mix the fine chopped beef in a bowl along with everything but the egg yolks. Mix well before dividing onto two plates and forming into a round. A round cookie cutter or mould can help create a neat circle. Place the egg yolk on top and serve with melba toast or thin crostini.
Because beef tartare is raw it calls for the very best beef. Eye fillet, also known as Filet mignon, Châteaubriand, comes from the muscle that sits beneath the ribs next to the back bone. It does very little work, ultimately making it an incredibly tender and succulent cut. Click here to buy our premium quality steak and have it conveniently delivered to your door.